My First Lash Lift Experience
Some people are blessed with long and thick eyelashes. I, unfortunately, am not one of those people. I know – there are much, much worse things in life. However, this is a beauty blog, so it’s okay to talk about these kinds of things (otherwise you can go read the news!).
No matter how much I lift my lashes with a lash curler before I apply mascara, and no matter what kind of mascara I use, my lashes never look amazing. Don’t get me wrong – some mascaras are better than others. I just don’t have naturally great lashes.
I’ve tried eyelash extensions in the past. I really loved how they looked, but there were some downsides. For example, the extensions start to fall out fairly quickly, so you would need a refill in about two to three weeks. When the extension falls out, it sometimes takes your real lash with it. Once they all fall out, it’s not a huge deal, but you definitely feel a bit…bare.
A lash lift, on the other hand, lasts eight to twelve weeks and doesn’t damage your lashes at all, or make them fall out! Here’s everything you need to know about a Keratin lash lift:
What It Does
A Keratin treatment lifts and lengthens your own lashes to open up your eye area. It’s a semi-permanent lash curl that, as I mentioned above, lasts eight to twelve weeks. It also adds a tint to your lashes to make them darker. One of my questions before I had the treatment done was “is it safe?” The answer is yes! YUMILASH products, which I’ll talk about in just a minute below, are very safe. They are EU approved, which exceeds the normal standards of the FDA, as well as hypoallergenic, non-toxic, paraben-free, formaldehyde-free, and contain no harsh chemicals. The YUMILASH lift actually strengthen and conditions your lashes, rather than harm them. Your lashes will actually become stronger by eliminating the need to curl them with a tool.
Where To Have It Done
If you live in Rochester, NY, I highly recommend having you lash lift done at Bare Element. This salon is where I go regularly for laser hair removal, and I’ve also had jet peel facial and laser teeth whitening services done there as well (click on links to read all of my posts on those services). They are certified with YUMILASH, and will choose a customized lift size to suit your natural lashes. I had mine done by Maria who is a total sweetheart and so easy to talk to. The entire lash lift process took a little more than an hour, and we talked the ENTIRE time, nonstop. The hour flew by because she’s so fun. The price to have a lash lift done at Bare Element is $150, which is not bad at all in my opinion (especially with how long it lasts).
- You should not use any makeup removers or serums on your eyelashes that contain oil for three days prior to your appointment
- You also should not curl your lashes or wear waterproof mascara for three days prior
- You cannot have eyelash extensions up to one week prior to your appointment
- Do not wear eye makeup to your appointment
- If you wear contact lenses, you should take them out prior to your appointment (you can put them back immediately after)
The lash lift service is completed in five stages: lifting, volumizing, lengthening, darkening, and Keratin treatment. You will lay on a salon bed under bright lights with your eyes clothes. It’s actually very relaxing and the hour goes by quickly. It also doesn’t hurt at all – it’s completely painless and wasn’t irritating to my eyes or lashes.
- Do not get your eyelashes wet for 48 hours after treatment
- Do not participate in any strenuous activity causing excessive sweating or sit in steam for 48 hours after treatment
- Do not wear mascara or curl your lashes for 48 hours after treatment
- Do not use eyelash serums, upper lid eye creams or gels for 48 hours after treatment
- Do not sleep with your face in the pillow or wear a sleep mask 48 hours after treatment
- After 48 hours post treatment the only restriction will be to refrain from using eye makeup remover containing oil
I love how my lash lift looks! As you can see from the before and after photo, there is a MAJOR difference. I feel like a brand new woman! I would highly recommend this treatment to anyone with short/straight/light lashes and would like to see a big improvement that will last a decent amount of time. I also highly recommend Bare Element as they are so professional, fun, and above all, high quality (also very decently priced with all services!).
Have you ever had a lash lift? What are your thoughts?