New Goals for 2018
Happy 2018, everyone! I hope you had a wonderful holiday with your friends and family. The photo above is a few of my girlfriends and I celebrating the New Year on Sunday night. Now that the holiday craziness is over, it’s time to CRUSH this new year 🙂
I set new goals for 2018 a few weeks ago, and I am going to try my best to achieve them. First I wrote them in my iPhone Notes, then I wrote them down on paper. I downloaded these really helpful guides from Marianna Hewitt, one of my favorite beauty bloggers, so that I can keep all of my goals organized. You should also check out Marianna’s video on “How to Set Goals and Stay Motivated.” It’s a great watch and you’ll learn a lot from her.
Today, I’m sharing with you the goals that I set for myself this year. At first, I had a really long list of them. Then I realized, having too many goals might not be realistic to achieve. So I tried to focus on three main ones, with smaller goals that fall under each. Let’s take a look:
- I really want to save more money this year. I’m decent at saving money, but I won’t lie – I like to splurge on things, too! I absolutely love to travel, so I never mind spending money on that. And let’s be serious – I’m a makeup artist and beauty blogger, so I obviously spend money on makeup products, fashion, etc. In 2018, I plan on saving more money by:
- Getting fewer manicures – I can paint my own nails and that will easily save a decent chunk of change each month. I typically get my nails done every two weeks, and that can add up really quickly.
- Packing lunches – something I have been awful with in the past. I have a full-time career working for a software company as their marketing director, and I buy lunch way too often. If I pack my own lunch, this will not only save me money but also help with my health goals (below).
- Continue to grow my brand – In 2018, I want to grow the Makeup by Caitlyn Michelle brand. I’ve already booked more weddings than I have for any year in the past, but aside from that, I want to grow the brand outside of weddings. I’ve done that by collaborating with brands and partnerships, however, I want to do more of that!
- Creating separate savings accounts – This is a great technique that I used in 2017, and plan on continuing to use in 2018. I downloaded an app on my iPhone called Qapital. Here’s how it works: you can set up different “rules” that allow you to save money without thinking (it pulls directly from your checking account). For example, you can create a “Set & Forget” rule that pulls a certain amount of money each week or month so that you don’t have to remember to “set money aside.” You can also set simple rules that round up your purchases to the nearest dollar. What I like to do is actually not set any rules, but just put money into designated accounts when I have extra money. I have “Savings,” “Makeup Deposits,” “Taxes,” and “Travel” accounts with Qapital. It makes saving money SO easy!
- Workout 5 times per week – When it comes to a fitness routine, do what is feasible for you. For example, if you only workout 1-2 times a week at the moment, don’t set yourself up for failure by saying your goal is to workout 5 times a week. I already workout 4-5 times a week, I just want to get to a consistent 5 (maybe even 6!). My workouts include weight training, Tabata, HIIT, yoga, dance, cycling, and other forms of cardio.
- Drink more water – This is a big one for me! I hardly ever drink a lot of water each day. In fact, I’m almost always dehydrated. Which is SO BAD for your skin, and is obviously bad for other reasons as well. My goal is to fill up my water bottle 4 times each day (it is a 32-ounce water bottle, so that’s a total of 128 ounces).
- Eat healthier during the week – This goes along with packing lunches, as I mentioned above. I am constantly eating out for lunch and dinner (and sometimes I’ll even stop at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts in the morning)! I know that’s not good for me, so if I meal prep my lunches and cook my dinners, that will make me much healthier.
- Love me more – What a funny thing to say, right? I guess it could fall under both health and personal, but I’m sticking it here. I want to love myself more for who I am and not compare myself to anyone else.
- Have patience and compassion – Okay, so I already kind of have these things, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement! I shouldn’t say “kind of” – I do have patience and compassion. I just want to have more.
- Pray more – I pray to God almost every morning or night, but there are times that I don’t. I want to make it a happen to pray every single morning or night. I read one prayer recently that I really like, and it’s great to say in the morning: “Lord, I love you and am thankful to call you my God. Please be with me today. I give you my day, my thoughts, and my time. Guide my steps and keep your truths near me. Help me to put others before myself and keep my sights on your kingdom. Amen.”
- Be present – Ah, this is a big one. I need to work on BEING PRESENT. I’ve been working on this for more than two years now, but I can still improve. It’s one of those things you need to constantly work at and remind yourself. I have a bad habit of constantly being plugged in – to my laptop and my iPhone. I am checking my email, text messages, phone calls, voice mails, direct messages, etc. 24/7 and it is so draining. I constantly post to the Makeup by Caitlyn Michelle Instagram account, and here on the blog, too. But I don’t need to be plugged in all the time – I need to remind myself to be present and enjoy the current moments.
- Read more – Going along with putting my electronics down, I want to read more! I love reading. I currently read about one book each month, but I would love to read one book per week.
What goals did you set for yourself this year? I would love to hear!